Something fishy going on?

Posted on December 21, 2007
Filed Under General, Maemo, Services |

http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/ Is still pretty much unreachable, but I’m beginning to feel that there’s something more to it than people upgrading their OS to 2008.

Because for me http://repository.maemo.org/ and http://repository.maemo.org/extras are also 95% of the time unreachable. Is this a classical case of Nokia not paying the ransom and getting the internet hammer also known as DDOS? Share your own thoughts :)

PS. Happy Holidays!

Comments

9 Responses to “Something fishy going on?”

1. blip on December 21st, 2007 10:39

Whatever it is, it’s just ridiculous.
    Very difficult to download OS2008, impossible to install python or Canola…
    Why promote these software if we cannot even install them?

2. Keith on December 21st, 2007 11:29

Have been trying unsuccessfully for over a day. It seems that every OS upgrade will mean a several day process to download the OS, and reinstall all of the packages because all of this is treated as a hobby and on underpowered servers and/or bandwidth. Unsure what Nokia’s strategy is here. If Nokia was serious, they would properly host their OS download and the open source applications. Kudos to the developers for a wonderful OS, and kudos to the application developers for some really wonderful applications. Next upgrade I wont even bother for a few of weeks. Thanks for the buzzkill, Nokia.

3. Jussi Kukkonen on December 21st, 2007 14:24

> If Nokia was serious, they would properly host their
    > OS download and the open source applications.

It’s obvious that there’s some very serious problem, but have you tried traceroute? All the servers I checked were on Akamai. How exactly do you get any more serious about hosting?

4. Keith on December 21st, 2007 16:23

Nevermind. Sorry I bothered to complain. Everythings wonderful. I have tried unsuccessfully over 30 times using several different networks in my city (in NW Germany) for more than a day to install Canola2. Many of the other packages take multiple tries to install. Some of the packages download in seconds like normal. I was never able to download OS2008 the proper way through the website. I am happy, though. I won’t complain next time. No feedback necessary. Thanks.

5. lancewex on December 21st, 2007 16:48

I am glad I have not installed the newest OS’08 because I would be infuriated if I could not have all my programs reloaded. I can not believe the problem is still going on and Nokia have not made a statement about it. It’s simply difficult to believe such a large company comes off like such a small one (in a worst way).

6. blip on December 21st, 2007 18:33

After investigation, it seems it’s the python packages that are a problem. Canola needs those and the downloads always fail.

7. Walther on December 21st, 2007 20:21

blip:
    I had the same problem. But for me it was caused by some repositories I had configured. After removing the one that contained extras-devel and the bora repositories, it all worked fine.

8. blip on December 21st, 2007 21:37

in sudo mode : tar xvzf canola2_2.0.0~beta1-maemo.1_all.gz then dpkg -i ./*

9. dmtelf on December 23rd, 2007 13:42

blip - thanks for making canola2 beta available from another download link. Unfortunately I can’t download the file as the URL is http://www.lupin3d.net/canola2_2.0.0…maemo.1_all.gz which Firefox can’t find.

BTW I’ve been trying to d/l it from the proper Canola repo since it was released, but get an error after approx half of it has downloaded - “Unable to install canola. Installation file corrupted.”

I get exactly the same error when trying to install Python 2.5 runtime. I upgraded my N800 to the latest release OS when it became available last week & have been struggling with Application Manager ever since as half the repos don’t update in a timely manner e.g. maemo-extras and I get Installation file corrupted for lots of apps I try to install :-( Talk about buzzkill…