Nokia N810 as a bluetooth GPS-module?

Posted on November 26, 2007
Filed Under Ideas, Maemo, N810, Software |

bluetoothIs it possible to use N810 as a bluetooth GPS module? For example GPS might be needed on a laptop, or to test a cellphone application. At first the idea seems a bit stupid, but I’m sure someone somewhere might appreciate the functionality.

I’m pretty sure it won’t work out of the box, but creating an application that acts as BT SPP server that just outputs data from gpsd might work. I’m not familiar with BT-programming, so would this be possible or even “easy”?

Comments

6 Responses to “Nokia N810 as a bluetooth GPS-module?”

1. Ross on November 26th, 2007 17:50

It would be trivial, gpsd support exporting the GPS over tcp/ip.

2. Finite on November 26th, 2007 23:17

Sure, sharing the GPS over TCP/IP is part of what gpsd was designed to do, and of course you can use BT or WiFi for the layer under the IP, but making the tablet actually speak NEMA over BT-SPP (the serial port profile) would open up a much wider range of compatible devices. I have no idea how that would be done, but it does seem like it shouldn’t be too hard.

3. Henri Bergius on November 27th, 2007 12:09

You could go even further, and enable any GeoClue position source to act as a “fake BlueTooth GPS”. That way external devices could gain benefit from positioning sources like Plazes.

4. pekkis on November 27th, 2007 13:04

I asked the same @ ITT Forums some time ago. All I’ve found is this:

5. Claudio Takahasi on November 27th, 2007 19:19

You can export the GPS data using the BlueZ serial proxy. There is a way to export unix socket data. Another alternative is write your own service. Contact me for more information.

6. Ol Schoola on November 28th, 2007 04:36

Digital imaging EXIF data.

I have been pestering Nikon to add bluetooth to their upper-end SLRs. When the SRP of a camera is, say, 600USD or higher, the BT module should be standard IMO. Do they really expect users to shoot with the USB cable sticking out the left side and tethered to a dongle all the time?